Thursday, February 12, 2009

New Project - Erlang E-commerce

Well, now that we've moved to California (Sept 2008), and things are finally settling in, I'm looking for a new project to play with. At the end of long conversation with a current coworker, Steve Atkinson, about concurrency and the bear that it can be to wrestle with (especially in regards to shared state) I admitted that I'm interested in seeing how the new crop of functional programming languages deal with these types of issues.

So, to jump on a bandwagon (that's probably already left the station), I've decided to started exploring Erlang. What I want to do is create a small e-commerce style of application to see how the non-shared state model deals with the state of objects/entities like "customer", "order", and "product" over the lifetime of the application. I suspect my point of departure will look like a typical Java web-app (it's how I pay the rent), but am hoping to divert into something more or a true erlang app (whatever that may be). Further, since I have absolutely no background in functional languages, this should be a good learning and growing experience.

I'll try to jounal as much of the interesting details, thoughts, and ideas as I go along. However, we're expecting our second baby in about six weeks (holy cow!), so I'm not sure how much progress I'll make in the spring or summer. Either way, I'm hoping to gain another perspective on this whole programming thing...

No comments: